As a Design Engineer on our Product Development Team, you'll collaborate with other engineers and work cross-functionally with our Marketing, Regulatory, Manufacturing, and Quality teams to create and modify designs for surgical instruments for spinal and cranial navigation. This is a great way for you to leverage your engineering degree to gain experience in design feasibility, testing, engineering analysis, design control documentation, and design for manufacturing. You’ll have the opportunity to tackle projects where you can provide solutions to a variety of technical problems related to complex spine products that ultimately impact patients’ lives.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The following are the essential functions of this position. This position may be responsible for performing additional duties as tasks as needed and assigned.
- Create CAD models and detailed engineering drawings using SolidWorks to modify/maintain existing spinal and cranial navigation products and support new device designs.
- Update and write documentation/design history files to support designs in accordance with Design Control and Risk Management procedures
- Work with Engineering Services team to generate and analyze test data and reports to verify that prototypes meet functional and performance specifications
- Collaborate with internal teams, design surgeons, and manufacturers to establish necessary design inputs, uphold project plans, and achieve project objectives.
- Work with suppliers and other vendors on technical issues, ensuring engineering designs and product standards are maintained throughout the manufacturing process
- Participate in product validation cadaver labs with design surgeons and product marketing team
- Perform other related duties as assigned
The requirements listed below are representative of the education, knowledge, skill and/or ability required for this position.
Education/Certifications: Bachelor's Degree in Engineering
Experience, Skills, Knowledge and/or Abilities:
- 1-2 years in engineering
- CAD drafting and modeling, using Pro-E, Creo, SolidWorks, or similar
- Design experience with metals like stainless steel or titanium
- Ability to effectively communicate verbally and through written correspondence with all levels of peers and leadership at SeaSpine, surgeons, suppliers, etc.
- Proficiency with MS Office, specifically Excel and PPT
- Ability to work creatively, prioritize, and accomplish team goals and initiatives amidst competing priorities
- Analytical mindset with strong attention to detail, and ability to problem solve and identify solutions in a high-growth and fast-pace environment
The education, knowledge, skills and/or abilities listed below are preferred qualifications in addition to the minimum qualifications stated above.
Education/Certifications: Bachelor’s Degree in Biomedical or Mechanical Engineering
Additional Experience, Skills, Knowledge and/or Abilities:
- Understanding of materials science
- Experience with developing test plans, protocols, and reports
- Experience in medical device
- Basic programming skills (e.g., MatLab, Phthon, C)
- Familiar with basic surgical instruments manufacturing methods